Wouldn’t it be great if simply observing our dogs would let us know instantly if they were healthy or sick? Unfortunately, dogs can’t tell us when they are feeling ill. For that reason, owners need to be proactive. Getting your loved one regular checkups by a professional is the best way to provide a quality life for them.
Here at Animal Family Veterinary Care Center, we have curated an Annual Wellness Program to ensure every dog lives a healthy, enriched life. Our team is dedicated to ongoing education so we are always offering the best care for your pet, without extra stuff they don’t need.
What happens during an Annual Wellness appointment?
- Bloodwork Testing can detect sickness before your pet shows signs of illness. This can make it easier to treat and gives a baseline to compare at future visits so we know what is normal and healthy for them moving forward.
- Parasite screening/prevention Fleas, ticks, heartworm, and more. Parasites can get into your dog’s system faster than you think and if they aren’t protected the consequences are high. An annual screening will confirm your dog hasn’t been infected by any parasites, and we provide various preventative treatments. This includes an injection for heartworm so you don’t have to remember to give regular medications, making it easier on you and keeping your dog protected all year long.
- Vaccines Vaccinations can prevent illness in your pet – and keep them from passing some of those diseases to you and your family. It is one of the easiest ways to help your pets live a healthy, long life and keep your entire family protected.
- Dental “Dog breath” isn’t normal and regular cleanings keep more than just a dog’s mouth protected. Just like humans, animals should go to the dentist every 6-12 months. Canine dental disease can rapidly spread to other organs, which is why early detection is key to keeping them healthy.
- Nutrition Giving your animal the right food is crucial in sustaining a long, healthy life. They need the right balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates, which can vary by breed and genetics. We can find the perfect fit for your loved ones.
What if your dog needs some additional tests?
Seeing your pet regularly means we are able to know when something is out of the ordinary for them. And, of course, if you have a concern please let us know during your visit. For example, if you think your dog has joint pain, we offer in-house chiropractic and cold-laser therapy . We have expert surgeons on staff if any procedures are deemed necessary. Having as much as possible under one roof helps keep your dog as comfortable as possible.
So, how often should you take your dog to the vet?
That depends on what is most important to you. When determining the best frequency of visits, we have found that people tend to fall into one of two categories. Which category do you fit into? Answer the following question:
Which is more important to you: less trips to the vet or spreading out payments?
For those with anxious pets who feel undue stress coming to the vet, limiting to one visit per year is often preferable. Other dogs may love coming in the car to see their favorite doctor (we love to see them too!) so we can break the annual recommendations into as many as three visits per year.
The items outlined above are what we believe every healthy adult dog should have on an annual basis and our veterinarians recommend it for every pup we see. Spreading it across 1, 2 or 3 visits does not have a negative impact on the animal, so picking the right plan for you is easy.
We ask this same question about what matters most to you on your client forms , which you will fill out before your next appointment.
Is your loved one due for a checkup? Schedule an appointment today .
Animal Family Veterinary Care offers an extensive range of services all in one place, so we can meet your pet’s needs in almost every situation. Our veterinarians in Davenport treat dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, and a variety of other exotic species, because every pet is unique and important.