Meet Alexis Hughes, DVM
Alexis has been a veterinarian since 2020, right at the start of the pandemic and started her job right after they cancelled graduation. When she was younger, she worked at the local animal shelter. Before and during vet school she worked as a tech in both Washington and Idaho. While in vet school, she worked at the dairy farm in research.
Each day is always different at Animal Family. Examining animals and communicating to their owners about findings and trying to make the best plan possible to help their pets is the majority of her day. That may be vaccinations, x-rays, specialized blood testing, suturing wounds, hospitalizing, and so much more. She works with the wonderful PCAs and technicians as well as collaborates with the other vets.
- How do animals impact your life?
- They are easily my life. I came home from birth to animals and I cannot remember a time I haven’t had any! I knew early on that I wanted to dedicate my life to improving the quality of theirs. I love the human animal bond, whether that be pets or livestock. If I’m not at work, I’m with my own.
- Your family:
- My heeler mix Harvey, cat Rue, and some cows
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you?
- I grew up outside of seattle, Washington and have loved living in the Midwest. Usually you will find me outdoors- running, walking my dog, working with my new veggie garden, kayaking, fishing, with the cows, going to concerts, watching team roping, or working on house projects. I also enjoy a good book and FaceTiming my mom and brother!
Animal Family Veterinary Care offers an extensive range of services all in one place, so we can meet your pet’s needs in almost every situation. Our veterinarians in Davenport treat dogs, cats, rabbits, birds, and a variety of other exotic species, because every pet is unique and important.